26 July 2006

So you say you want a... Revelution?

I'm getting on the Red Line to ride for two stops, then do the xfer to the Blue and get my shagged ass home, when I see four youngsters at the end of the platform, huddled around something. I walk up and, lo and behold, they are writing on the deck of the platform in chalk! Which I don't mind in the least bit; it's easily cleanable (if the CTA ever thought of cleaning the fucking platforms; more on that later), and it sends a message. I really don't care what the message is: if it's "Eat Dick," so long as it's in chalk, write on, brother!
But they have written a subversive message. Ooohh, angry white teens from the suburbs or the Gold Coast who want change! My favorite flavor of hypocrite. What's even better is their message, which I get to see them write, since no one is willing to go near a group of teens hanging out in this manner on an el platform. Since I plan on being one of the chief authority figures in the teen demographic's collective life (did the whole world just shudder? or was that a guffaw?), I walk up right behind them and read

START
YOUR OWN
REVELUTION

I let out a very disappointed sigh, which they hear, and turn to look at me guiltily. They stand up, and I shake my head at them. I take the chalk away from Kid A, who is most likely afraid that I will now alert the Proper Authorities.
I look at them all, and then look at their slogan. I say, "Well?" To which Kid B, who is so stoned I am amazed he can speak, says, "Whut?"
I shake my head again, and erase the second "E" with my foot. I then write the "O" that should have been there in the first place and put a semicolon at the end of their statement. Directly beneath their now correct slogan, I write

STAY
IN
SCHOOL.
And yes , I did place a period there.

Kid A says, "What the fuck does that mean?" I then give him a discourse on revolutions led by folks who were illiterate and uneducated that were successful. Can't think of any either, can you? Barbarian hordes sacking cities and destroying Rome doesn't count as a revolution; that is an overthrow. Revolutions need smart people. Just ask Jefferson and Franklin, Marx and Engels, Guevara and Lenin. We had a great discussion after that about what type of revolution they wanted. They want a world where everyone can be happy. "Even the murderous rapists?" I ask. Of course not, the group answers. They plan on being tough on criminals. "And we're not tough enough already?" I ask. And they say no. So I ask them to go into detail about how we could be tougher, and where we are weak. "We let guilty guys go because of technicalities and shit," says Kid A, clearly the brains of the outfit. It's okay, I cried for them too. "You mean, technicalities like the police fucked up on evidence and their investigations?" Kid B nods with me; a spark is starting to glow in his head. He doesn't look comfortable with that, and Kid A is sure as hell not cool with Kid B, and maybe Kid C, agreeing with this old man.
I need to catch my train this time (I let one go during the discussion, but I feel a rumbly in my tumbly and want to get home ASAP), so I tell them to read some Marx and Engels, and read Hamilton's account of the writing of the Constitution, and anything by Guevara, and the history of the Reign of Terror. Then read anything about ethics and philosophy that they can get their hands on. After that, then you can legitimately think about revolution. "With an 'o' this time," my parting shot as I board the train. Just before Foo Fighters kick in, I hear Kid B say, "He's cool for an old guy." Kid C responds, "Yeah, but he's gotta be a teacher or somethin'."
I think I will smile about this for a whole week.

I just realized how much cooler this post would be had I been equipped with a digital camera. I guess it's time to get one, eh?

1 comment:

Kitten said...

That's now my favorite story of the week.